Translate

Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Patriot Half Marathon


So, I've mentioned in some other posts how much my Rockwall Running Club means to me. Well, The Patriot Half Marathon (the 3rd of the 4 Half Marathons I've committed to for 2014) is organized and timed by my beloved Rockwall Running Center/Club. THIS race would prove to be a serious test of the infant level running skills I've developed so far. Luckily, I have several experienced runners in the RRC who have been a serious blessing to me sharing their knowledge with me (the newbie) as I continue to learn more about increasing my stamina, my gait, heart rate based training, etc. Thanks to Barrett Hopper (founder of RRC), Lee and Dana Chatham, Tom Iradi, Jim Hardin, and many others who have thrown tidbits of knowledge in my direction from time to time. Though it may not seem to sink in during our "5 miles at 5am" runs because I'm so busy trying to avoid passing out, I promise I've been listening. And I'm getting stronger and faster as a result. So thank you all very much! And to those reading this who may be looking for a great running club with genuinely caring people who are there to support one another, consider this group. I can't find the words to express how much they have helped and encouraged me along the way as I fight off any chances of ever going back to the operation table again.

But, I digress.

The Patriot Half! One of THE MOST CHALLENGING Half Marathons in North Texas. Those of us who live and run in Rockwall County, know that if run in Rockwall you're gonna be running hills. They are EVERYWHERE! And though I say all the time, I HATE HILLS, they have made me stronger and faster along the way. But, on May 26th 2014 I was tested for sure. I went into this race knowing I was not gonna make a PR because of all the hills in Rockwall. Did I mention that the race takes place in Rockwall? Yeah, it's important to know this. I had been training properly, just as I had for the previous two halves. But, I was making mountains of Rockwall hills in my mind.

I had my flag and I knew I had chosen to dedicate this race to my Paw Paw Lloyd Daffern who served and fought in WWII as a turret gunner flying 34 missions in Germany. He was the only REAL father figure I had as a kid and I had a connection with my Paw Paw that went beyond my own understanding. I could sit for hours and listen to his stories and advise. Even as young as 3 or 4 years old I remember getting on my little bicycle with training wheels on it and trying to pedal my way across town to go see him even though I wasn't allowed to leave the yard. I just couldn't get enough of him. And when he passed away 1995 a large part of me felt completely lost. I love you Paw Paw!!



With the kind of connection we had, I knew that The Patriot Half was not only going to be a big physical challenge, but it would be an even bigger emotional challenge. But, I made the custom bib Paw Paw and I pinned it on my Team RWB shirt. But, I felt something wasn't right. I could feel something inside of me saying that the bib is wrong. I double checked my spelling, the formatting, font size, I even double checked Paw Paw's rank as Sergeant. All this was correct and proper. But, I had this feeling that something was not right about it. I walked away and did something else for a bit and left the shirt lying on the bed. The race was the next morning so I was telling myself to figure out was is wrong. After, doing some other things around the house, I came walking through the bedroom past the shirt and the message became clear in my head. The "something" inside of me that was telling me it was wrong was my Paw Paw telling me I need to continue inspiring others with my actions. That honoring he and other veterans is greatly respected and appreciated through out the heavens. But, he wanted me to continue to try and touch people with my running. This made perfect sense! Paw Paw was very pragmatic in his approach to spirituality and religion. Even though he was a deacon and a very small South Baptist church in town, he believed that Jesus should not be forced upon anyone against their own will. He always respected peoples rights to believe as the choose. I tend to agree with this point of view. This was definitely him telling me to "witness through actions John, not just through your words."So, how am I supposed do both? I want to run for Paw Paw and also due as I feel him telling me to do. Ah Ha!!! I put the bib on my custom shirt, or my heart shirt as I've come to call it. That was what Paw Paw wanted. I instantly felt better and now was ready for the race in the morning.

I woke up to my alarm at 5am the morning of Memorial Day. Race Day! I could feel the depth of the emotion this day would hold as soon as my feet hit the floor. I got my gear on, grabbed my flag and off I went. I knew ahead of time, that Debbie and Faith would catch up later and meet me at the finish line in a few hours. I got there and was already having trouble containing my emotions thinking about Paw Paw and all the other veterans we honor on Memorial Day. Add to this, the fact that I'm reading so many posts on facebook where friends and family are writing about their friends and loved ones who serve or have served in our armed forces. I'm checking out the vendors to distract myself for a while getting my pre-race nutrition and making sure I get my head in the game. Approaching the 30 minutes and counting mark, I'm approached by Coach Barrett he tells me that the running club is assembling on the steps of the football stadium to get a group picture and asks me to bring my flag. I ran to get my flag and joined my team mates in the running club for a quick photo.


With the team photo done, now the anxiety builds further because I know that the race is only a few minutes from starting. How can I possibly be so excited about a race and also be so anxious? I want to honor veterans and their families. And feel great in doing so. But, I'm so nervous about honoring the one man who meant sooo much to me that I was about to puke up the protein bar I'd just eaten moments prior. Then I felt a calm come over me as though I'd been injected with morphine. Ya know that feeling where you still know your problems or struggles but they don't matter? That's what swept over me in an instant. It was Paw Paw calming me down knowing that I was making matters much worse by fretting over things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I was doing the right thing and he let me know. But, it feels like maybe I'm being selfish by not pinning your bib to my Team RWB shirt. People might think that I'm trying take attention off of you and other veterans on this day Paw Paw. But again, came the sweeping calm. The calming effect he ALWAYS had on me. Ok! Ok Paw Paw! I'm listening.

Once again, I'm called to present the colors as the one who brought the flag. I stood in the middle of the street and my dear friend Jim Hardin lead a prayer that morning before the race to ask blessing over all the veterans gathered here today and around the world. Honoring those who have fallen and those who are still with us as we all prayed along with him. I was glad everyone had their eyes closed so that they couldn't see me fighting back the tears that I had running down me face as I held the flag during that prayer. Then, the National Anthem played. I have to stand at attention now with the left over streams still showing on my cheeks hoping no one says anything to me after the song is over because I want to get out of the lime light and get to the back of the corral where I can collect myself. I make it to the back of the line and the race begins on time.

As I mentioned earlier, I had no preconceived notions that I would PR on the race course with as many hills as it has. So, I left the starting line nice and slow. And even though I'd ran the entire course just a week prior to finish out my training, the race still threw some curve balls at me. As I ran through Harry Meyers Park along the race route, I was approached by Brian Brode works for WFAA as part of their field crew. At least I think he is. Brian introduced me to Shon Gables is also part of the WFAA field crew and told me how she is feeding live tweets to her followers and asked if I would stop to pose for a picture as we crossed the park. Of course, I can't pass up the opportunity to get a picture with some local TV personalities. So, we stopped in the park along the side of the sidewalk and caught a quick picture with Shon Gables and Brian Brode. Two VERY inspirational people I have to say. 



I was motivated watching Brian speed up to catch someone and take more pictures. Then speed up again to catch up with the rest of his running friends, It was truly motivating to see. 

I made through it Harry Meyers park and on to Memorial Dr on the other side of Raymond Cameron Lake  in Rockwall when something funny happened. Along the sidewalk are oak trees adorning the landscape. I wasn't paying attention to the low hanging branches and actually let my flag get caught in one of those trees and my flag pole came apart leaving Old Glory hanging there in the tree as everyone behind me continued to run. My first concern was making sure I caught it before it got a chance to fall on the ground. It was embarrassing enough to let the flag get caught up on a tree, I would be completely traumatized if she touches the ground under my care. But, a fellow runner caught it for me as I was coming back around to get it. I put my flag back together and enjoyed the awkward laugh and kept running.

By the time I made it to the 10 mile point I had been up and down so many hills I felt my ears pop several time. Of course, I'm exaggerating. But,it sure felt that way! I got to 11 miles in and felt the need to walk for a bit. I struggle with the thought because it doesn't seem to be as "honorable" as running. And if I'm running for veterans then I need to run not walk. It's the least I can do. Right? But, I had to slow down because I could feel myself getting weak. I slowed to a walk and had a squeeze of Guu from my run belt and started to feel better after a few minutes of walking. I started running when I got to 11.5 and I was running at a pace faster than I had been before. Eventually, I made it up the last major hill in John King road in the last legs of the course and made the turn on to Airport rd leading back to the starting line on Townsend. But, I slowed down as I made the turn onto Justin Rd thinking about something my friend Jim Hardin from the Rockwall Running club has told me during one of our runs together along the same road. Jim had told me about The Patriot Half ran the previous year and how he came up with a saying. He explained how the copper dome on the Rockwall courthouse comes into view as you make your way up Justin rd and said "When you see the dome, you're almost home." I thought this simple saying was kinda cool. It reminded me of Paw Paw and some of the simple profound things he used to share with me as well. 

Anyone who has done any distance running knows how it can stir up some pretty serious emotions sometimes. Well, now that Jim's little saying has started something in my mind, I drifted off thinking about Paw Paw again. All that he meant to me. All the times we shared. All the advise imparted. I wanted to finish this race strong for him. After all, he's not just another veteran, he's also my Paw Paw. So, push on through the pain that is setting in. My calves are getting tight, my hips are completely spent. And my hamstrings are burning like they've been in a rotisserie oven for the past two hours at 350 degrees. If I hadn't looked I could've sworn I had meat falling of the bone like a rack of ribs from the smoker. EVERYTHING hurt!

Just then I could feel a wave come over me that I still can't explain. My heart rate slowed even though I hadn't. All of a sudden, it was easier to hold my head up and keep my shoulders back. I knew it was Paw Paw giving me the strength to finish this strong and provide some inspiration to someone or anyone who may need it. He wanted me to witness with my actions.

So, I made the last left hand turn on to Townsend Dr. It's another third of a mile or so to the finish line. I'm leaning into the wind that has my flag flying at full attention. Tears begin to form in my eyes as I can hear Paw Paw telling me how proud he is of me and what a great job I am doing. All the while, I'm trying to get my self in check so that I'm not a blubbering mess when I cross the finish line. Unbenounced to me, my daughter has been talking to the announcer at the finish line about my story and telling him of my surgery and physical trials. So, when I managed to collect myself and begin to sprint toward the finish I begin to hear the announcer telling the crowd about my story and made me break out in tears again. 




My daughter was there waiting to help me run in the last few yards and quickly supply me with water and help me cool down. And as I crossed the line, I could see my wife and her beautiful smile there to greet me. She could tell I'd been through a lot in my head during the last 2 hours and 38 minutes that it took me to finish had a bottle of water there for me as I was catching me breath. The right support system makes everything much easier. And, I have the best!!! Thanks Faith! Thank you Debbie!

After I had a chance to cool down, I was approached by a couple of ladies who wanted to tell me that I had provided them with some much needed motivation along the way as they ran behind me. After taking time to answer their questions, I learned it was Latoya Silmon of Fox 4 news here in the DFW area. Debbie and I posed for a couple of pictures with Latoya and I shared an abbreviated version of my story with her and her mother. She and I still keep in touch from time to time. 

Ya just never know who you may meet along the way. Whether it's running a half marathon or just running the rat race we all try to keep up with. And for that reason (and others) I always say...

Happiness is a choice; make it daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment