Translate

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Cowtown Half Marathon (Pt 1)

So, I've finished off my banana and my pickle juice and caught my breath again. My heart rate has dropped back down to expected levels. Now what?? This is my first major race. I have no idea what to do. So, I go back to the expo where I run into a couple of friends from high school who tell me that they have been following my story on facebook and how great they think it is to rise above the circumstances I've been dealt. I've always had a hard time taking compliments and this time was no exception. I had to look at the floor and just say, "Thanks." I could feel the emotions welling up. But, I fought them off. Afterall, I haven't seen either of these guys since high school and then there's the whole "boys don't cry thing". I wrapped up the conversation with the guys and continued on through the expo. When I came across a pair of shoes I've been wanting. The Hoka One One Quest. And it's in my bright color. Fluorescent Yellow!


Though nowadays, I tend to lean more toward the Hoka Stinson after talking with some pros and trying them on. Just more evidence of my growing patterns among the running community. As I learn more by observation and conversations.

So, I wrap it up and head to the hotel that I have booked for the night. I finally get to talk to my wife (Debbie is awesome) on the phone and tell her all about the race. She didn't get to attend since she had massage clients already lined up for the day. And beside, She's seen me run more 5K races than anyone. Nothing new really. But as I told her all about it, I was giddy like a school boy who had just kissed a girl for the first time. It's OK guys. I never had a man card to begin with so go ahead and TRY to take it away. Anyway, Debbie was on her way along with our daughter to join me in the hotel room for the night. And, I can't forget my mother-in-law who was there to support me as well. There we are, a four of us in one hotel room. And, I am even more anxious and neurotic than I was for the 5K. Now, I'm wondering if I need to get there even sooner than I did for the 5K after all, it IS a longer race right? Then, did I remember to bring my hydration belt and the bottles to go with? Did, I remember to pack my Advocare products to avoid gassing out half way through the race? What about the rest of the family? How am I gonna wake up at dark:30 in the morning and get dressed for a half marathon without waking everyone up? I staged all my clothes in the bathroom of the hotel room so that I could go in and shut the door to get dressed. Though, I later learned after exiting the bathroom that Debbie was awake anyway. Oh well!! I tried! I give Debbie a kiss and off I go.

Now, I've arrived and parked in the same spot as the day prior but the parking lot has much more activity going on than before. I guess everyone gets here early for The Big Show? This time there are photographers taking casual pictures of all the runners as we all enter the garden beside the corrals. I made it a point to have the photographer who stopped me take a picture of both the front and back of my shirt. Seems shameless doesn't it? But, any opportunity to reach someone with my message with worth my dignity. If I sacrifice anything at all, that is. 

The start time approaches and I make my way to my assigned corral. I'm assigned to number 5 (if I recall correctly). I get over the crest of the hill in the midst of the garden and I am overwhelmed again. The crowds are even bigger than the previous day. I make my way to corral number 5 and prepare to pack in like sardines and go back to my happy place again. I'm stretching and getting myself psyched up for my very first half marathon after quadruple bypass surgery. MAN! I was on the cusp of crying just thinking about how far I'd come. I turn on my play list saved on my phone hoping to distract myself so that I don't turn into a blubbering idiot right there in the corral.

Just as I'm plugging in my earphones, I guy catches my attention in my peripheral vision. I turned to see him waving me down.to ask me with a shocked look on his face. Did you really go through all that stuff on the back of your shirt? Well, I instantly started crying as I nodded in the affirmative. The emotions I'd been fighting off all this time had to make an appearance at some time right? I had to fight to collect myself and pull myself together. I'm about to run 13.1 miles for crying out loud!! Literally!! Get it together John!

Well, I DID collect myself and got out on the road. It didn't take long to get distracted from my own thoughts. I'm listening to my music paying close attention to my pace. Keeping my arms in stride. It was going really well. Then, I got to the 5 or 6 mile mark in the middle of the Fort Worth Stockyards. Running down exchange street along the old cobble stone streets that have been there for so long. But, I was fading. My legs were burning and I just felt spent. Then I remembered! I haven't had any fuel. I quickly pulled out one of my powergels form my run pack and chugged it right there at the corner of exchange street and main. I continued on and began to feel the fuel being delivered to the muscles that so desperately needed fueling.

I continued on wrapping around the Old Spaghetti Warehouse that sits at the top of the hill at the end of Exchange street and made the left back on to main as directed.  But, I didn't realize what I was in for. A mile or so ahead was the biggest hill I'd climbed to date crossing the Trinity River going into to downtown Fort Worth. UGH!!! Now, THIS is where I had to dig deep. 

But, it will have to wait. Because I have a wonderful family who is now home and I'd like to spend some time.

Until my next entry!
Cheers!!

And remember...
Happiness is a choice; Make it Daily!!

No comments:

Post a Comment