Translate

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Joining Team RWB

Now that I've told you all about my very first Half Marathon after surgery, I have to go back and tell you something that I saw during that last mile of the race that really touched me.

I've always had a soft spot for two kinds of people. the elderly, and our nations military veterans. I found an additional way to honor and respect one of these while I was fighting to finish the race. As I was rounding that last corner that I mentioned in my last entry, I came upon a man carrying our nations flag on a short pole that he running with. It was obvious what he was doing was very patriotic. But, then I learned more after finishing the race. The runner I had witnessed was part of Team RWB (Red, White, & Blue). I could make a feeble attempt to describe the mission of Team RWB but, copying from their website's home page is best.

"Team RWB's Mission is to enrich the lives of America's Veterans by connecting them to their community through physical and social activity." Well, I HAD to join this group!! With a subject this close to my heart, how can I not? I submitted a request form online and got a response (almost immediately) from tie director of the local D/FW chapter, Anthony Thompson who , along with his entire team, welcomed me with open arms. I quickly ordered my first Team RWB shirt and anxiously waited by the mailbox. But as I waited, I came up with an idea. I know so many veterans and want to visibly show my appreciation to as many as I can. So, why not design a race bib where I can print the name, branch, rank and years of service of all the veterans I'd like honor and thank? I got straight to work on the idea. A few days later, the shirt arrives and I put together what would be my first customer bib honoring an American Veteran.


In honor of U.S. Marine Corp Sergeant Stanley Swain who was infected with cancer resulting from exposure to agent orange during the Vietnam War. I would wear a different bib for each race I run in. I started contacting all the people I know who have Fathers, Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, Cousins, Sons, & Daughters, etc who have served in the military. I compiled the list in a Word document and saved it to refer back to any time a plan a race. But, what about the flag? I had to carry a flag! Not because Team RWB requires. They don't require to do carrying anything at all (unless you want to). But, how can I truly honor those who choose to serve to protect us and make all the sacrifices that they make and not carry a flag? My inner dialog told me, "Carrying a flag will slow you down. It's also GOTTA hurt after a while carrying that flag for 5K or 10K or 13.1 miles". But, I instantly reminded myself of the pain and struggle that our veterans choose to humbly take on every day. THAT CINCHED IT! Off to find a flag!

Now I'm all set! I have my RWB shirt and I big 3' x 5' version the U.S. Flag. I ran my first 10K with it at a local race hosted by my friends at The Rockwall Running Center.

 I would use this race as a test to how I run with the flag. Will it slow me down as much as I think? What other things have I not considered in this idea? I quickly learned that my flag stands taller then some of the timing towers. As I started the race, I accidentally hit the top cross bar leaving the starting line. Thank God I didn't hit it hard enough to knock it down! But, I learned that the flag didn't slow me down anywhere near as much as I had anticipated. So, that made me pretty happy knowing that it will be a little easier than I thought. Now onward and upward! With the other 3 of the half marathons I've committed to this year! Now, honoring our nations veterans as I do so.

Go Team RWB!!!

Cheers for now!
And remember,
Happiness is a choice; make it daily

No comments:

Post a Comment