Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

Additional runs during my training

Alright! So, where did I leave off?...Oh yeah! Training for my first half marathon. Well as any runner knows, you can't just NOT participate in other races (5K, 10K, etc) while you're training. So along the way, I participated in several 5K races. One of which I actually took first place in my age group (39 - 44). It was at a local Turkey trot event in Royse City.


I even took 2nd place in a 10K race sponsored and timed by my beloved Rockwall Running Center. The Rockwall Rib Rub & Run turned out to be a bit more than 10K since the race guides weren't in place quick to steer the leaders in the right direction on the first turn. So, we ended up running closer to 6.4 miles than 6.2. But, oh well!! I still took 2nd place in my age group. And when it came time to accept my medal, a friend from the Rockwall Running Center was the one to give me my medal and had me stand for just a moment as he told me story to the crowd. I almost cried. But, I cinched up my tear ducts and went to a celebratory breakfast with my parents who had come to watch me race.


Anyway, races came and went along the training calendar. And not all of this is in chronological order. But, you get the picture. I jumped in with BOTH FEET! 

As The Cowtown Marathon grew closer, I felt much stronger. I was reading one day on the Cowtown Marathon website that they offer a challenge that can offer 3 different medals if completed. You can choose a shorter race on the Saturday of that weekend. Which would be a 5K or 10K and then choose to do the half, full, or ultra marathon the next day to complete the challenge. I consulted with Brad since he was the one to help me get where I felt I could do this. Brad said it sounded like an easy thing compared to what I had already done so far and encouraged me to take the challenge. So, I signed up to the 5K race on Saturday and the half marathon on Sunday. Now, to say I was confident that I could pull this off would have been a stretch. But, I knew I felt strong. REAL STRONG! I continue my training incorporating more miles and intervals training to build my stamina and recovery. And did I mention that all along I'm getting regular massages from the best place in Rockwall? Massage Rockwall, "Massage therapy for your active lifestyle". 


Also, the owner happens to be my better half. So sue me!! I'm throwing out a shameless plug for my wife who really does a great job of keeping athletic clients in the ready for their training. I know she does a stellar job of keeping MY legs in tip top shape. And THAT gives me a competitive advantage.


 But, I also have another idea. People have been telling me all along what an inspiration I am and how I have got them motivated or kept them motivated in their personal fitness goals. So, I'll see if I can inspire more people by designing a shirt to wear at The Cowtown Marathon. I REALLY like the feeling of inspiring people whenever I can. If, I can use my story to help put the wind in some else's sails, then why not do it? So, I start looking at websites to design a shirt that might inspire those that see it as I run any races I participate in. What do I come up with?


The design is a simple one, I know. But, it gets the point across. If I can do this...so can you!! I designed it and ordered it only a week and a half before the race and as I was placing the order the I read the it takes 5 to 7 business days to receive it. Now, I'm anxious wondering if I'll get in time for the race.

I got the shirt in the mail only 2 days prior to the race. What a relief!! Tapering week was going well and I felt ready. Now I just have to rely on all the training I'd been doing. I booked a hotel (even though I only live an hour and a half from Fort Worth). It didn't make any sense to race one day, drive home and then drive back again the next day. Call me lazy...

I could feel the excitement building in these last 2 days. It was all in place. My training, the shirt, the weather, my support team (my wife and daughter), and I had SO many people wishing me well. Just gotta get through the rest of the work week to find Saturday so that I could get up early and drive to get in the corral for the 5K race. The first part of my race challenge.

But for now, I have to sign off. This runner has a 5am run scheduled and it's currently 10:00pm. 
Cheers until my next post!...



No comments:

Post a Comment