Translate

Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Fairview Half Marathon

So now I have even MORE reason to run, my health and our nations veterans. I am now filled with a purpose that completes my healthy trifecta. My family, my personal healthy goals, and honoring those who defend our nation. I have my Team RWB shirt and my flag has been "tested for wind resistance". At least that's what I called it. 

Now my next half marathon was scheduled for April 5th 2014 The Fairview Half is an AWESOME race if you like to run a little bit of back country roads like I do. The course takes you through the rural back roads of Fairview Texas along with some of the streets of a local neighborhood with some very pretty properties and giant mansion like manners that decorate the course. I highly recommend this race for ANY distance runner who likes to take part in organized races. Many of the runners like to stop and take pictures with the horses and cows along the way. I wasn't one of them, I get to see those all the time where I live. It's fun to see everyone having fun taking pics and video of them along the route.

http://www.fairviewhalf.com/

http://www.theactivejoe.com/

But for me, this was going to be my very first test with the flag in a half marathon distance. But first, I had to make sure I set the alarm early enough to get all the way to Fairview by the time the race starts at 7:30am. I had my things laid out the night before and ready to go.  But, my timing was off a little. I arrived to the race with enough time to get geared up. But, I didn't have enough time to "take care of business", if you know what I mean. I was standing in line for the port-o-pot when a fellow member got my attention saying that Team RWB was looking for me to present the colors for the National Anthem. CRAP!! Off I go!! With a full bladder. But, i certainly wasn't complaining. What an honor, to present our flag for The National Anthem. I was truly humbled.


After the National Anthem, I had to make my way straight to the starting line. "I get NO time to pee?", I'm asking myself. But, the answer was no. The time was 7:28 and looking at the line still standing outside of the port-o-pots, I was certain I'd never make it back to the starting line in time. So, off I go with a FULL bladder. Let's just hope it helps to keep me hydrated.

Leaving the starting line, I felt in good (in spite of my extra cargo) and could tell this was going to be a good race for me. It was cool outside, much cooler than the weather during The Cowtown Half so that was definitely working in my favor. I felt good with the flag propped up on my shoulder and I was running my normal 10:30 pace for most of the race. Lots of friends from The Runners Corner  were running this race. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/runnerscorner/
If you're a runner (especially a new runner) you really want to join this group on facebook. The people are soo helpful and there is a plethora of knowledge that everyone is willing to share. And we all support and encourage one another. It's a great group started by a great guy named Aaron Conner. Check it out!

Even though things were going so well through the whole race, I could feel that same cramp in calves coming up like they did at The Cowtown Half. And I knew I needed nutrition fast. I always carry a Guu in my running belt for long runs. So, I grabbed it and choked it down on the run. Just moments later I'm supercharged and I hit the last 3/4 mile faster than I'd run the last 12. I was shocked when I finished in 2:18:57. That's 10 minutes faster than I finished my first half! I was very pleased and had several people coming to me after the race was over telling what an inspiration I am for honoring the veterans with my carrying of the flag. And a few questions about how much harder it is to carry a flag when running. But, thinking on it then it really didn't seem to slow me down. Yes, I DID have the cooler temps in my favor. But, even still I didn't feel like it slowed me down any.

 

I was so distracted by the questions, that I forgot to get my complimentary shaved ice and chocolate milk. Oh well. There's always next year right? Until next time...

Happiness is a choice; make it daily. 




No comments:

Post a Comment