Translate

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Cowtown Half Marathon, where it all started for me

At the risk of sounding too sentimental, I'm really looking forward to this weekends race in my old stomping grounds. Most of you who have been following along know that after my surgery I took up running and then started training for my very first half marathon with some friends that I graduated with high school. My most sincere thanks to Mark and Brad for inviting me to join along in the training for the Dallas Half Marathon in 2013 that was ultimately iced over. But then, The Cowtown Half Marathon 2014 ended up being my very first and I wouldn't change this fact even if I had a time machine.

"The Cowtown" as it is affectionately called by many, earned a special place in my heart last year. It was the start of my new life and lifestyle. It's where I learned what I'm really capable. The streets of Fort Worth are where I grew up. Especially along the cobblestone streets of The Fort Worth Stockyards where I spent so many Friday and Saturday nights in my younger years. Hanging out at all the little bars and taverns along Exchange Street with all my friends are very fond memories looking back. I even worked at Billy Bob's Texas back in those days.

As I ran those streets last year, I spent time reflecting on some of those memories among others. So, because of this, I get a little misty. Pardon me while I do so.

This year, I'll be running The Cowtown Challenge. Running the 10K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday. Last year I ran the 5K/Half combination and felt strong after the 5K so this year I'm gonna try the 10K. Also, this year I'm gonna run the 10K for Team RWB carrying Old Glory for our nations veterans and the Half for myself wearing my signature "Heart Shirt".

 When I was in that prep room watching nurses and surgeons get ready to open my chest, I made my wife a promise. She stressed how much she needs me to fight back and how much she and our daughter need me. "I need you to fight John. Fight with everything you've got to recover", were the words I had repeating in my head as the anesthesiologist gave me the "happy juice" as he called it, in my I.V.

Those were also the words I recalled as I ran The Cowtown Half last year. Along with the memories of my PawPaw who served as the only true father figure in my life growing. Running, distance running specifically, can spawn a lot of deep rooted thoughts. Some happy, some not so happy. Last year I experienced both and I expect this year to be the same after considering all the thoughts above.

Last year I came running down Lancaster avenue crying my eyes out hoping no one would notice as I faced some of those memories. Then settled in to the idea that I had a lot of emotional baggage to unload and let it all out right there on the half marathon course.  Crying both happy tears and tears of sadness, I learned what it really means to let go.

What is it about distance running that opens this "Pandora's Box" in my mind? I spent a lot of time trying answer this question after last years cowtown. But a year later, I've learned to just enjoy the positive results that come after a run be they emotional results, or just the typical runner high.

Although, I'm pretty sure it's going to be emotional again. Because as I said, Cowtown holds a special place in my heart. Watch out Cowtown!! John Gillespie is coming home again (for the weekend).

Remember,
Happiness is a Choice; Make it Daily

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck in Both 10K and the Half Hope to See You as You finish the 10K. Hope all your Halves go Great and help complete your journey and story of Recovery from this Surgery as You said I have my Own Story and Victory to Shout Out and Plan to do Just that beginning with the 5K Tomorrow morning much more besides a fib I am defeating I will have to tell you when we meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. I really hope we can meet up tomorrow. I'd love to hear what I'm sure will be a great and long lasting victory story from ya. If you happen to see me, don't hesitate to "flag" me down. Ha!! :-)

      Delete