Translate

Monday, February 16, 2015

My Phone Fiasco (A Runner with no Tunes)

Most of us newbie runners (I still consider myself a newbie) run with our cell phones. Some runners have them strapped to their arms; others have them in that “special pouch” that is built in to the more expensive athletic clothing, while others just carrying their phone in hand during a run. I myself carry mine in a running belt. You can call it a fanny pack, or a hip belt, or a hydration belt call it whatever you want. I get made fun of for mine because it does look more like a fanny pack than a hydration belt but it has bottles that came with the belt. SO THERE! LOL

Either way, I carry my phone in my “running belt”. I don't use any of the free apps like some of my fellow newbies use anymore. I now use my TomTom Runner Cardio for recording data and measuring performance. But, I still like to run with music which is on my phone. I KNOW, I KNOW!! Some still stand firm in the belief that it is dangerous to run with music. I can see the point they are making. But, we have more than one type of sensory system in the human body (ie. Smell, Taste, Sight, Sound & Touch) and I am not afraid to use them all. Some of them I can use in concert like when I run. I hear my music and I watch for cars, pedestrians, and any other potential problems both ahead of me and behind. I even carry pepper spray for the occasional stray dog that is found on the country roads out here where I still run on occasion. Yes, I have been bitten once. And it only takes once to learn to carry some protection. But, that's another subject for another blog entry isn't it?

But, I’m not writing this entry to begin a debate over the subject of running with or without music in your ears. No. I’m sharing my personal disappointments with a situation I had play out surrounding my phone as it applies to my running life.
 
Ya see back in November of last year I was running with some friends of mine on the trails at White Rock Lake in Dallas. I was doing some speed work. Or at least what I call “speed”. And I had worked up a pretty serious sweat doing so. My phone was in my “running belt” playing my favorite tunes just as loud as I could play them knowing that the threat of cars coming up on me were far fewer on the routes I normally run alone.  It was around the 7.5 mile mark of the 9 mile route around the lake when my music stopped. I looked at the screen to my phone and it was blank and not responding at all. CRAP!!! What’s wrong with my phone!?!?

My fellow runners already know reading up to this point exactly what has happened. My frothy sweat storm had dripped its way into the “running belt” and seeped into my phone rendering it useless. I couldn't even get it to power up to call home and let my wife know I was going to breakfast with my friends after the run so she wouldn’t worry.

Now what!?!?! I had just upgraded to this new LG G3 a month prior. Now it’s already dead? And if the little water dot indicators inside make it look like I dropped it in water then the warranty won’t cover it. Here I was worrying about my own well being on the run when it was my phone I should've been concerned with.

Well, I took the phone to the AT&T location where I bought it and learned that the water indicators were dry and it showed no signs of water damage. WHEWW!!! Now, all I had to do was take to the warranty center in North Dallas and get it replaced. YEAH RIGHT!! As usual, AT&T can’t communicate properly (Go figure, from a communications company) and the warranty center doesn’t keep the G3 in stock. Now, I have to go an entire week with my phone dead and no way to listen to my tunes on the run. Really?? “This was my biggest concern?” you might ask. No. Not really. But, it was my first thought. How can I "Run Against the Wind" without Bob Seger there to motivate me? Sorry for the punny joke. I couldn't resist. But honestly, with as dependent as I am on my cell phone, it shut me down for a week, all because I wanted to get some speed work in.

Well, long story short…I got the phone replaced after some other issues along the way. I had to have the replacement replaced as well because it came with the same defects which lead to yet another week with no phone.

But, it made me realize that I depend on my phone way too much. Though, I still insist on running with my tunes.

But, it makes me want to ask the question of you all.

Do we rely on our cell phones to much these days? Let me know your thoughts. Click the “comments” link below and share your opinion. Do you use your phone to run? Are we too reliant on our cell phones as a whole?


Let’s hear it…

No comments:

Post a Comment