Translate

Monday, February 23, 2015

The Stonebridge Ranch Half Marathon (2nd of my 12 in2015)

This one was a fun small race in McKinney, Tx put on by Playtri. It was my first time running in a Playtri event and I was fairly impressed. Though it was a small event (only about 400 runners between the 5K and Half), I could see the organization put in by the race team and support staff. There was plenty of communications regarding packet pick up and race day timelines through emails and the personnel at the Rockwall location of Playtri inside the Rockwall Cycle Center where I picked up my packet several days ahead of time had answers to all my questions.

On race day I wasn't as impressed but, still not completely disappointed. The Course was clearly marked in about 60% of the areas leaving the balance up to you trying to find the person who is running a 100 yards ahead you as you deal with visual obstructions that prevent you from doing so. There were plenty of staff handing out medals at the finish line but, little else. But, this was a small race so my expectations weren't set really high to begin with although; I see no logical reason why the course couldn't have been more clearly marked in certain areas.

But, I that’s just my 2 cents…
What really mattered on the race was my efforts to honor another American Hero with my membership to Team RWB. This time honoring Sergeant Norman Gervais, known by has friends as “Frenchie”. Sergeant Gervais served in the war in Vietnam from 1969 – 1970 and managed to make it back home alive.
I gathered my running gear the night before and made sure I had Sergeant Gervais’ Military details correct before printing up a bib in his honor. Just like any other race that I dedicate to a specific Military Hero/Veteran, I had to get a picture to remember and recall up on later.






I decided a few weeks ago that I will treat this race just like any other training run. But, I’d be carrying Old Glory on THIS training run adding a  little more resistance to the run which couldn’t hurt in the midst of training right?

So, when I go on a training run (any distance), I don't bother carrying any fuel. I carry water in my hydration belt and that's it. So, that's what I did that day of the race. No fuel. Afterall, I didn't have any time goals for this race anyway. I just wanted to honor the Nations Vets. So, I had nothing to lose by not fueling on the run.

The first few miles I tried to hold the reins and keep it to an 11 min avg. But, my competitive side kicked in as people kept passing me. I tried to tell myself, "This is just another training run John." But, this only worked for about 4 or 5 miles. I even told myself that I didn't have a reasonable chance since I was carrying a 2' x 4' flag in winds that were gusting to 25 mph. But, that little competitor kept poking his head out from my subconscious mind and taking over. I really felt the urge to run after a passed a small pack at a water station at mile 5. That's when I failed to keep my plan. I stopped resisting the instinctive run signals that were going off in my brain and turned on the extra steam that I knew I had in the engine room. Miles 5 through 9 were strong. I passed up about half of those that had passed me earlier and felt pretty good. I took water at every station knowing that i didn't bother packing any water in my belt. I even had some Gatorade at a couple of the stations to keep the electrolytes up. But, I didn't count of the course have soo many hills. I'm not afraid of hills, mind you. In fact, anyone who's ever run with me on a course that has even one hill knows this. But, hills take more energy than a flat course and when you're not fueling along the way, well....

Needless to say, I ran out of steam eventually. As I rounded a corner during mile 10, I felt my legs get heavy. A couple of the guys that I had passed several miles ago passed me during the last 5K while I was struggling to get my juju back. 
Now, I am one of those who feeds off the energy of the crowd of any cheerers along the way. I've been know to go from struggling to keep an 11 min pace to all of a sudden running a 9 min pace. But, with a race as small as this, there is very little cheering going on along the course and your left to motivate your self. So, I continued to press on with tired legs and no fuel teaching my body to learn to convert fat to energy. At least that's what I'm hoping after reading some articles about runners who have taught their body to do just that, burn fat for energy on the run. 

When I looked at my TomTom and noticed I was at mile 12, decided to push harder and continue as I always do to finish strong. Fortunately, the last half mile finishes crossing a damn on the small lake in the middle of Stonebridge Ranch which means it's flat. I crossed the finish line running an 8:34 pace with my legs BURNING!!! I went straight for the Nesquik tent for some chocolate milf after grabbing my medal.

One of the guys attending to the Nesquik tent asked if he could get a picture to submit back to Nestle headquarters with me my chocolate milk and my flag. I agreed to a "quick" picture and told him I pose as long he'd be willing to text the picture to me so that I could share it with you all. Thank God for the chocolate milk. I could feel the nutrition hitting all parts of my body soon after. I even went back for a 2nd bottle. They even had Girl Scout cookie flavors. Who could resist Thin Mint flavored chocolate milk? Really? And Samoa! It may have been my ravenous state but, Holy Cow they were good! So good that I forgot all about my slip up forgetting to stop my TomTom and lost my time. Oh well. I just took another swig of my milk and grabbed a banana for the road.


I called my daughter to tell to get dressed so we could go get some lunch together once I get home. And that leads me to tell you all, I have decided after much debate and self reflection that the Double Cheeseburger with seasoned curly fries is THE BEST post race food. Hands Down!!! I'm glad I have 10 more excuses left year to eat something so delectable. 

And by the way, I received notice of my time later. I finished in 2:28. Not bad, all things considered.




Remember Folks!
Happiness is a Choice; Make it Daily


No comments:

Post a Comment