Translate

Monday, March 2, 2015

Running in the Frozen Tundra / Should I buy some snow shoes?

Alright!!!..Ok!...I'm exaggerating. But, The Cowtown Marathon was almost cancelled altogether due to the ice and snow that moved through the area last week. But, the organizers did a very good job of making the right calls at all the right times. The conditions left behind by Friday's snowstorm were not safe to run in, let alone driving to get there.

And I feel really bad for some of the volunteers that were working the booths here and there dealing with frustrated people who were taking their frustrations out on those innocent volunteers. VOLUNTEERS FOLKS!!! That means that aren't even getting paid to listen to you complain and make threats. YES!! I'm talking to all those people who were screaming at people (both online and in person) that were merely trying to assist as much as possible even though they had no control over the decisions made by the organizers to cancel some of the races that were ruined by the storm. I was shocked at one particular individual who actually made threats of legal action toward one of the volunteers as I was standing in line behind him. I felt bad for the poor girl who had to listen to this guy go on & on screaming at the top of his lungs about how they would be hearing from his legal counsel. The lack of understanding was causing a blemish on the runner's society from my point of view. And the young girl was horrified at how she was being talked to as her manager had to step in take over the situation. He just stomped away looking like a very self centered and self absorbed individual, who made it a point to tell folks how he drove here this morning just to tell The Cowtown Marathon how mad he is and what kind of trouble he is going to cause for them. Very sad.

But for me, I was very pleased with the decisions of the organizers in spite of losing the opportunity to run the 10K with Old Glory for Team RWB. I can see why they made the decision that they did and I think they did a very good job of salvaging what they could of a bad situation without compromising safety for all involved. Good Folks! It's part of why The Cowtown is my favorite race.

I had told myself that I was going to beat my finish time from last year. I finish Cowtown Half last year in 2 hrs 28 min. I also told myself that I would NOT walk no matter what. I made my green tea that night before the half (the only race that was salvageable after the snow & ice) and had it in my hydration belt along with my marshmallows. I had it all together even though I wasn't sure that the half marathon would still be ran as I watched the news that evening. But, I staged it all for a quick and quite get away for Sunday morning.

I made the decision after looking outside at 4am, to go ahead and run the race. I ran into a little ice on the bridges in Fort Worth, but nothing I couldn't handle. I grabbed a bathroom stall in the men's room and made my "Superman" change into my running regalia. I even had time to spare to walk around what was left of the Exp and take in the sights.

I even got to spend some time with a friend from high school as we were staged in the stage corral fro the start. Sharon and I were on the Gymnastics team together in HighSchool. Yes! I was on the Gymnastics team! I even went to State Finals one year. I was also a cheerleader for those who are laughing right now. Go ahead and get it all out now. As a matter of fact, Sharon was on the cheerleading team as well. She might have even been captain (if I recall correctly). Hats off to Sharon she just finished running The Dopey Challenge with Disney and still made it Cowtown for the half. Good Job Sharon! Tell your husband I said hello.
Time for a quick selfie and OFF WE GO!!!


There was still some ice along the course though it was reduced to slush along the streets in Trinity Park and there was the occasional frozen obstacle here and there. But, it wasn't anything that even the most freshman of runners couldn't hop over. I had my play list going. It was 32 degrees with a light mist/rain. The kid of conditions that most runner feel miserable standing still but once you get past that first mile or two it feels great. The kind of weather where personal records get broken.

And that's exactly what happened. Not only did I beat my previous time at cowntown, I made a new P.R. of 2 Hrs 17Min 2Sec. Beating my previous P.R. of 2:17:29 by the full 27 seconds. And in my mind every second counts. 

I didn't waste any time getting back inside the convention center after crossing the finish line. I got my free thermal blanket and moved on to get my free food. Banana here; yogourt there. I drank a 12oz bottle of muscle mile in one giant gulp. I went to get my finishers shirt and caught up with a friend of mine and made a new running friend in the process. Congratulations on your finish of 1:55 Matt Petty. Hard work paying off for you buddy.
After a couple of Miller Lites as we all cooled down. we all decided to make our way home. I thought about stretching in the parking lot next to my car but it was entirely too cold for such nonsense. So, I got inside and took a selfie instead. 
Here's to another Half Marathon in the books. The 3rd in my quest to run 12 Half's this year. It was cold, It was touch & go. It was wet and drury. But, it was worth it. Thanks Cowtown!! A class act in the running world!

Remember Folks.
Happiness is a Choice; Make it Daily






No comments:

Post a Comment