Translate

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Making front page news - My Patriotic Conundrum


Now that we've had a chance to enjoy Thanksgiving with friends and family and WAY too much food, I feel compelled to continue on in my quest to train hard for my time goal of 2 hours in the Dallas Half Marathon which only in 2 weeks. I continue to give credit to my friends Tom and Lee who have been providing me with the knowledge to train smart and injury free so far. You guys have made the difference. So, thank you both very much! But, I continue to struggle with one thing...

Most everyone knows by now my passion for running and general health & fitness. Most everyone also knows of my involvement in Team RWB honoring our nations veterans and how I carry the flag at every race. I've managed to raise awareness in my local community of the sacrifices that our veterans make and how I feel that they deserve to be honored. I truly enjoy carrying that flag in remembrance of military veterans. I REALLY do. However, the flag slows me down. And when you have a specific time goal for a certain race that you want to reach it's important to shed all the weight you can. Now, can you see my struggle?

I don't want to seem selfish on my own part. I don't normally worry about what the general public thinks of me as a person. To be completely honest couldn't give a rat's fuzzy butt. I know that I can't please all the people all the time. But in the case of honoring our nations veterans, I feel guilty if I don't carry the flag to honor them. After all, they don't drop their responsibilities to pursue some silly personal goals in the name of competition. Even if I'm only competing against myself and the elements.

Up until today, I was convinced I had made up my mind. I would run without the flag this ONE time. Just for me and my own personal goals. What could it hurt to run one race without honoring the veterans who keep us safe so that I CAN run these races and enjoy the fun with my running friends and enjoy the victory with my family as I beat said goal and I cross the finish line in under 2 hours? Seems harmless enough! Right? It doesn't seem any more narcissistic than all the selfies taken and posted on facebook everyday (myself included). So, I made up my mind. I've talked it over with Tom and Lee and rationalized the decision in my own mind. Then...

I get a call from a neighbor who has just read the local newspaper and tells me I made the front page of the local newspaper as the guy who carries The American Flag to honor veterans. I ran the local Turkey Trot 5K just as I did last year. Last year I actually won 1st place in my age group at this race. I didn't anticipate winning anything this year since I carry the flag now. But, I got attention this time as Old Glory tends to be an attention getter.



Now, I'm rethinking my decision. If honoring veterans moves people to the point of writing a blurb in a newspaper about me, then shouldn't I continue in that fashion? In mean, I started this to raise awareness. Now that I've caught the attention of so many of those in my community, it seems irresponsible to stop. I'm beginning to achieve what I set out to do in carrying the flag. And I can raise even more awareness at a race as large as The Dallas Marathon. Now, I have conflicting goals. Did, I set too may goals? Did I set the wrong goals? Too many variables & not enough processor speed between my ears.

Guess I gotta go for a run and figure it out. Run to figure it out? Yeah! As I've said in the past, running = healing. It's that tranquil place where you lean into the wind or the next hill as you keep your stride. Your keeping a good healthy pace. Your body and mind are both moving. Just in different ways. It's in that place that healing, health, clarity, and peace all come together. Maybe you've experienced such a thing as you perform your exercise of choice. But, runners will know what I mean when it comes to running = healing.



 But, I straying from the subject.


Either way, you can bet on one thing about my race in the Dallas Half, I'll be running with passion no matter what I decide. Because, I've come a LOOONG way in 2 1/2 years. And, that is something I'm very pleased with.

Remember,
Happiness is a Choice; Make it Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment