Translate

Monday, November 17, 2014

Contining to improve


I took a temporary job with the State Fair of Texas as the Electrician backing the Main Stage where all the big concerts take place and it ate up most of my time on weekends. But, now I'm back and training hard again and with a few improvements.

One improvement I've made (I use the word "improvement" subjectively here) is my running treads. I was running in the Brooks Ghost and really enjoyed them until they got around 200 miles on them and then I began feeling some pains in the balls of my right foot. I knew my shoes were getting into the high mileage area and had been really thinking hard about the Hoka One One Stinson. I've tried this shoe on several times in the past and have really been impressed with the extreme cushioning without compromising stability. So, I found last years models on clearance at an online running website for $99 with free shipping. Anyone who knows Hoka One One, knows that their shows are usually around $150 - $180 depending on the model and retailer. So, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  MAN!! I love these shoes! I ran for the first time in them and could hear the the angels signing of how much happier my feet were to have so much cushion and yet still have so much support. Afterall, I'm a little heavier up top than most runners and I need the support from my running shoes.



Another "improvement" is my upgrade to a GPS watch. I used some of the money I made from the State Fair gig to invest in a new toy. In the past I've used my Ironman watch with your typical chest strap monitor with bluetooth. But, the strap digs into the scar on my chest from the surgery and makes things unpleasant on the run. So, I wanted to go strapless! Don't get too excited! You know I don't mean what you wish (tongue is in cheek).  So, I purchased a Tom Tom Runner Cardio. It took some getting used to during the first couple of runs. But, I have been enjoying  the accuracy without the irritation on my chest. And now, I have one less thing to distract me while I run.



 

And the third improvement really is an improvement. I started a regular workout routine with a friend incorporating a lot of strength training and advise on how to become stronger and faster as I continue focusing on finishing the Dallas Metro PCS Half marathon in under 2 hours. My friend Lee has much more running/training experience than I do and has openly shared his knowledge with me. Thanks Lee! I'll find a way to repay you for all your great advise along the way. I continue to do a random 5K or 10K here and there and I'll share more on those later. But, I'm really focused on my goal of 2 hours on December 14th. And so far, there is NO doubt of my improvement.

In the past I've held a 10:00 pace regularly. But after a few workouts with my friend, I've recently held a sub 9:00 pace for 5 miles. Just in case you don't know, to finish a half marathon in 2 hours or less you need to average a pace of at least a 9:09 per mile.  My plan is to run an even 9:00 pace (cuz it's a nice round number) and have time to spare if needed toward the end of the race. It's a theory...


Remember...
Happiness is a Choice; Make it Daily



No comments:

Post a Comment