Translate

Saturday, December 6, 2014

2014 Dallas Metro PCS Half Marathon is in a week. Are you Ready? Am I Ready?


We shall see. I've followed the training plan. I've tried to eat healthy, most of the time. Don't judge!! LOL I'm human. But, I ran my last long run this morning doing 10 miles and managed to keep in 9:45 avg pace with temps in the upper 50's and full sun. Hopefully, Sunday December 14th will provide a morning of overcast skies and temps in the mid 30's at start. My ideal conditions to finish within my 2 hour goal. 

But, there's still looms the other questions in my mind. Have a trained well enough? Have a done everything I possibly can to get my mind and body in the right condition to achieve my goal? Is there any details I might have missed? I'm just an amateur at this game and I still have a lot to learn and because of the fact, I often question my own abilities as a runner and heart patient. Or maybe that's my own lack of self-confidence talking. At any rate, I'm a week away from the race.

This means taper week has officially begun for me. It's that time frame that so many runners dislike. I feel like a caged lion trying to get out and run the zoo grounds. All week I struggle with the idea of not running long distances and have to distract myself with other activities. I'll spend a little more time at the YMCA this week, though I won't be pushing myself as hard as I've been the past few weeks of months. But, to sit still is not an option. I can get my rest while doing some mild strength training during the week and maybe throw in a couple of short 2 or 3 mile runs to keep the legs stimulated for stride.

Meanwhile, I also have to think strategically about how to tackle this race course. The course is mostly uphill until you get to the 8 mile mark then it's all downhill from there.




So, I figure if I can keep fueled properly going out and manage my pace the right way I can just ride the downhill all the way home. I just need to pay close attention to my fuel/hydration needs along the way. 

As I mentioned in other entries, this is my chance to get back the opportunity I was robbed of last year when I was planning to make the Dallas Half my VERY FIRST half marathon. So, I want to capitalize on it and run it even stronger than I would have last year. Though, I have to say I wouldn't change a thing about the past. Starting my half marathon journey in my hometown of Fort Worth with The Cowtown was Awesome!! I already look forward to returning in February to claim the silver medal in the series that is going on right now. 

But for now. it's redemption time! I gotta get my mind through the next week and continue to focus on the goal I set back in the heat of summer to finish the Dallas Half in under 2 hours. I've stocked up on my GU and caffeinated gels. I've even got some hand warmers to go in my gloves if needed. I've even made a decision on carrying Old Glory. With the utmost respect to our veterans and soldiers, I'm gonna claim this race as mine. I won't be carrying the flag or even wearing my Team RWB shirt. I'll be running without my shirt to keep "The engine" cool and further insure that I reach my goal. I know!! You just puked in your mouth a little at the thought of me without a shirt. Go ahead! Laugh it up! I have thick skin (no pun intended).

But, I'm feeling I've earned my strips and the right to run one race without Team RWB regalia. The Vets will still be there and I'm sure they will be supportive as I try to set a good example of what it is to work hard toward a goal and work your tail off to achieve the kind of success that fills your heart with an overwhelming joy that can bring a grown man to tears right in the middle of a crowd. 

I hope to be crying happy tears at the finish line next Sunday. I also sincerely hope to see you there!

Remember,

Happiness is a Choice: Make it Daily

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff John! Glad to have met you in Royse City a couple weeks back! Enjoy your race - I'm sure you'll do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this! Run like your pants are on fire! I'll see you out there.
    -Summer

    ReplyDelete